***No time to read a long blogpost? The TL;DR short version—Get on Google+, join the Edcamp #teachSDA group, and make sure you're able to use Google Hangouts so you'll be ready for Sunday @ 9pm ET / 6pm PT! ***
Hey all, Happy Sabbath! Hope the week's been splendid for you all. Beautiful weather in California, which makes me sad, as I've been in the house all week, working on getting my Common Core standards down pat and working on our upcoming Edcamp! I've got some stuff to let you all know, so bear with me, as this will be a bit of a longer post.
- Set your calendar for Sunday, 9pm ET/6pm PT. It was a close call, but Sunday evening just beat out Monday evening in the "when can we do this" survey:
That doesn't mean Monday can't/won't happen. Depending on how Sunday night goes (e.g. I die, someone gets hurt, no one shows up), I'd be willing to make our chat into a two-day ordeal, so if you can't make it Sunday evening, don't fret—stay tuned and let me know if you're still down for an encore presentation. Until then, though, let's all plan on meeting Sunday night at 9pm ET/ 6pm PT. If you can, be a few minutes early, and we'll have a Google Hangout set up for some pre-game to get to know one another.
- "What do I need to do this?" Great question. Basically, I'd suggest 3 things:
- A computer with a strong internet connection and a webcam.
- Headphones with a mic. iPhone headphones work great for this. You can also go without, but the background noise/conversations be something others in the room will be listening to.
- A Google+ account. This is necessary, as it's the way we'll be having our conversation.
- If you have a Gmail account, you're most of the way there—just go to http://plus.google.com.
- If you do NOT have a Gmail account, go to https://accounts.google.com/signup.
Classroom stuff—Standards-based grading, rubrics, Common Core, authentic assessment, gamification
Technology—Apps, Google Drive, 1:1 programs, blogging, learning management software, social media in the classroom
PD—utilizing Twitter for PD, successes and failures, book circle, sharing classroom ideas, flipping the classroom
AND SO MUCH MORE
Your assignment for the next 24-36 hours is to brainstorm anything you want to learn from others about, and then, if you think that at least one other person might be interested in studying it too, put it into the "Discussion Topics" bin. Check back on that page a few times in the next few hours and, if you see a topic you like, bump it up with a +1 (or a comment). On Sunday evening, the posts with the most likes will become the topics du jour, so share an idea, support an idea, or even better both!
Watch it and see if you can also start a Google Hangout. If you're able to see yourself on the video, we should be able to as well. If not, you might need to install the Hangouts Plugin.
- Get on Google+
- Join the Edcamp #teachSDA group
- Make sure you're able to use Google Hangouts so you'll be ready for Sunday @ 9pm ET / 6pm PT.
PS: Feel free to keep inviting/sharing—it's not too late to join in! Tell a friend!